Monday, March 23, 2009

A Sci Fi Novel I Would Like to Read

I guess I could try writing it, if it doesn't already exist. I've been wondering for a while what would have happened if instead of befriending colonists, the Native Americans had just killed them all off. There were many different tribes and nations, and they spent a lot of time fighting against each other, and different European nations teamed up with different Indian nations to fight each other during the French Indian war. What if, instead of warring with each other, the natives made a huge alliance to fight the white man. The reason this has to be a sci fi novel instead of a historical fiction is because seeing America today would probably help the different peoples put aside their differences. They all lost a lot, because the white man didn't really care what tribe he was exterminating. I think the premise would be something like this: a Native American scientist in the future invents a device that allows him to communicate with people in the past through their dreams. He uses it to send visions to the Chiefs of all the tribes right around the time the Europeans start to show up. Then, I get to see what America would be like today if history had turned out different.

I think this idea came up because something got me thinking about Native American culture. There are all different kinds in that category, because the different nations were so varied. No matter what their culture was originally, though, it sort of got stopped from continuing along whatever path is was following. It would have kept advancing if left alone, and it would be quite different from what it was hundreds of years ago, but it would have been purely Native American. Their technology would have advanced too, and i'm just curious to see what they would have come up with without European Influence.

I would be afraid to write it though, because I am not Native American, so to even be remotely qualified I'd have to do like 10 years of research. Maybe someone else has had this idea and has already written it. Maybe a few people have. I need to look that up.

No comments: