I am probably most annoyed by my blood relatives, specifically my parents.
I am also annoyed by matters involving money, this is closely related to my wrath against my parents.
I am annoyed that my place of education is not actually a school but a business selling degrees.
Thus I am annoyed with the actual cost of school combined with all of the paperwork and deadlines that have been falling on me lately.
The annoyance is augmented by the necessity to involve my parents. It is upgraded to genuine anger by the fact that I must cite their income and cannot consider myself an independent student simply because they are alive and I am currently under 24. There are some other requirements I don't remember, as well, all rendering me a technical dependent.
This is insulting to me because I shouldn't be considered a dependent, I shouldn't have to call up both my estranged begettors-turned-abandonors every year to beg for their compliance and I shouldn't have to wait for my dad to mail me a copy of his tax forms. I shouldn't have to fill out any dependence verification forms nor any notice of non-tax-filer status for my mom without her even being aware of my need to do so. I shouldn't have to forge any signatures just to apply for financial aid, which will be reduced even further by how much my dad makes, in spite of the fact that he hasn't provided for me at all since I was sixteen.
There was a particularly injurious moment at the financial aid office when I was asking some questions to get around having to account for my father's salary. I was asked, "which parent provided at least half of something-something--?" and I snapped "Neither!"
So I wonder, is there anything I can do to register the fact that I've been supporting myself, and before that I was surviving by the charity of friends and extended family, none of whom had any obligation to do so nor should they be expected to finance me any more than they already have.
There, that's what's bothering me. There should be some means of registering as a dependant-of-deadbeats or abandoned dependant. Otherwise, my family is expected to contribute several thousand, not including loans, and it is clear to all involved besided the U that my immediate family will not be contributing a cent.
The last time I got this concerned about university policy was right after I was almost raped and I was furious that the residence halls are entirely co-ed. There needs to be gender segregation. If I could have absolute power in that regard, there would be no males allowed anywhere near my room unsupervised, and I would not be allowed in any male's room without a chaperone, because that's how it happened. But that happened several months ago.
Wednesday, August 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment