I also probably need to change this a little, because it got kind of weird. I'll have to explain that later.
Ingredients
- 2 apples
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
Procedure
I got out my 10 inch non stick skillet that I have been using to do various things to apples for the past couple of days. They are pretty good just fried in butter with a little cinamon, if I don't burn them into apple crisps. This time, I put a lot more butter. I melted the half stick until it stopped bubbling. While that was happening I peeled the apples and chopped each one into 8 pieces. Then, when the butter was ready I added the brown sugar. I probably should have let it melt a little longer. It probably needs about 5 minutes to get all mixed in with the butter. Then, I added the cream. I don't think the cream usually does what it did this time. I think it usually gets all bubbly. This time it hissed a little, and it turned some of the brown sugar solid again. I mixed it around to break it into smaller pieces. Then I added 15 of the apple pieces, but the 16th fell on the floor. I stirred it around, and eventually the sugar melted again. I just kept cooking it until the apples got soft.
It got really light when I added the cream. It also stayed pretty liquidy after a lot of cooking. I think I need less cream next time. It is supposed to be a sauce though, so maybe that's ok. It just doesn't taste exactly like caramel candy. Maybe it needs either vanilla or even some salt. Lastly, it seemed to separate away from the butter. Whenever I stirred it I could see that the caramel was just floating in butter. When it was done cooking, I poured a lot of the butter off. I don't know if it's something weird because of the apples, or maybe I cooked it too long, or something.
I ate half of that whole thing in a bowl with some vanilla ice cream. It was too hot to eat as soon as it was done, and I didn't want to wait any longer than that. It must have been good, because I ate it so fast that I hardly remember. This was just a half an hour ago too. I only remember 3 of the apple pieces. They were warm, and mushy, and just wonderful. The ice cream liquified on contact. but a couple of the bits on top stayed solid. It harded the caramel at the bottom, and that was wonderful. Man, I wish I had taken a picture before I ate it all.
1 comment:
yup, that definitely sounds delicious. That's weird, because today I ate basi mantou and I was thinking about how badly I want to learn how to make basi mantou and basi pingguo when I get back to America.
Post a Comment