So I thought I was watching someone I love die, on his first birthday, and I was really wondering what I was going to tell his parents.
Ok, for some bizarre reason I love Caleb more than anything. I love Matthias, his brother, too, but I think Caleb has the cute infant advantage.
Well, the 29th was Caleb's first birthday and I got to babysit both kids for a while cuz their parents had to go to a meeting. So it was the second time I'd been alone babysitting. Typically, the adults are working upstairs in the office and I'm just keeping the little guys occupied.
Well, this time I was alone and we were upstairs in Caleb's room and I was talking to Matthias and Caleb was on the floor. All of a sudden I looked at Caleb and something was wrong.
He looked upset and his mouth was open all the way. His eyes were even bigger than normal and his whole face was quickly turning purple.
I panicked, thinking he must be choking and I don't know what to do. He definately wasn't breathing. I prayed and continued panicking and trying to figure out how on earth to un-choke a one-year-old.
The worst part was when he kind of passed out or something. His eyes glazed over and he was just staring into nothing. I thought he had died. I couldn't even register how bad that felt. I had some hope that maybe if I called 911 they could do something. I thought "ambulances take four mintes. If he's still alive he can last for a little longer than that."
Right when I reached for my phone he started screaming, and I was so happy that air was coming out that I started crying. I cried about everything: the true horrible feeling that he could have died, the helplessness oof not knowing what to do, the responsibility for his death. I cried for like, two minutes, which is a hugely long time for me.
Matthias, who is three, just kind of was sitting there the whole time not understanding and he asked, "Why are you crying?"
SO i called the parents and explained what had happened. I hadn't realized that caleb randomly stops breathing when he's really upset. Oh, good to know. I knew he used to stop breathing, like a year ago when he was just born, I didn't realize he still does that.
Well, that was the day I moved, so I had to wait for a ride to go to my new place. The kid's mom had taken the car home from the meeting to give me a break early from the traumatic experience. The dad was getting a ride home later. So while we were waiting we talked about something called theofostic prayer (no idea how it's spelled) [θеjəfastɪk] (schwa and cap-I) and that made a difference. I ended up sleeping on their couch for a couple hours before going home.
Sunday, September 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment